Monday 12 March 2012

A Little Way to Get More Out of Life

Saving for Travel recently posted about wanting to get more out of life, breaking bad habits and forming new,  better ones. Whilst I think she's already awesomely inspirational, I believe most people would wish to stop procrastinating and get more out of each day.

I have a little trick I've been doing lately to get more out of life; LABEL each day.

At the end of the day, you have to write a one sentence tagline of the most important or interesting part of the day. It can be as big or as small as you like. For example, the other day was "The Day I Officially Accepted My PhD Position", but the day before was "The Day I Sowed My Vegetable Seeds".

The beauty of this technique is that it forces you to do something, anything, productive with your day. If you feel like you haven't really acheived anything today, then tonight you might look back and feel that the day has been wasted. When you know that you will be labelling your day by something you did, it inspires you to do something!

Up until now I haven't been writing them down, but I think it would be a good way to keep a record of your life. I am too forgetful to keep a diary, so this would be a quick and easy way to keep memories for the future.

3 comments:

Kitty Greene said...

Good idea, how I hate wasting time/days being unproductive - this gets more intense as you get older - I feel I had better cram in as much as I can while I still have a pulse !

Meanqueen said...

I am doing something similar, though not writing a whole sentence, just a few words on the calendar on the wall. When I took down last years calendar I thought, good grief what a lot of days of nothing, I must do something every day. So far it's working. Today I sowed some seeds, dug two raised beds, and took Rocky a walk

rivulet said...

this is a neat idea. you should keep a list of your daily labels on your blog.